Kindergarten at TCPS provides a small-class experience for Kindergarten students in San Diego.
TCPS provides a consistent curriculum, beginning with the kindergarten program. We designed this success-oriented program to be engaging, supportive, and challenging — incorporating a focus on teaching kindergarten students how to learn, and to love learning, so they can continue to learn effectively beyond TCPS. Kindergarten teacher Rachel Szalay has been with our school teaching kindergarten since 2011.
Set up a tour of the school today or call us directly at 858-576-2120
Priority Application Deadline for 2019-2020 admission:
TCPS Kindergarten Curriculum
– Language Arts: Reading and Writing, Small Group Instruction, Phonics, Public Speaking, Journaling
– Beginning Research and Information Gathering
– Math: Bridges Math (K-5th), Conceptual Understanding, Deep Learning, “Real-Life” Context
– Manipulatives and Hands-On Projects
– Leveled, Individualized Reading, Writing and Math (at their own speed)
– Developmentally Appropriate Play Time & Outside Discovery
– Social Studies: “Myself and My World”
– Science: Environment and Animal Kingdoms
– Social-Emotional Curriculum
– Music & Art interwoven throughout
– Library Time
– “Reading Buddies”/K-8th Cross-Age Activities
Why TCPS Kindergarten?
TCPS believes in the importance of providing students with engagement, excitement, and challenge every day as they begin formal schooling. An early introduction to this type of education, the way education should be, is vitally important in creating long lasting success and happiness in school. Students who graduate from college will normally attend school for a minimum of 17 years. Their introduction to kindergarten and elementary school should ignite and begin to develop their passion for lifelong learning that will continue throughout their years of formal schooling and beyond.
TCPS Kindergarten Benefits
- A small class size (12 students max) that provides the individual attention necessary for maximizing growth and development.
- Membership within a small, tight knit school community.
- Kindergarten students learn to feel safe to take academic risks in an atmosphere that nurtures their self-esteem and teaches responsibility for their own actions.
- All students participate in Community Outreach Programs.
- Daycare is available before and after school at a reasonable hourly rate.
- Financial assistance is available to those who qualify.
Set up a tour of the school today or call the school: 858-576-2120.
Looking for TK (Transitional Kindergarten)?
If your child falls in the age-range for TK, or Transitional Kindergarten, consider Kindergarten at TCPS! TCPS does not have a strict age cut-off for the Kindergarten program. If your child will turn five years old in the late summer or fall months, and you believe he or she is ready, we would love to talk to you about applying for Kindergarten at TCPS. Schedule a tour and contact the Admissions Office for more information about Kindergarten readiness and our assessment process for all students.