A small-class experience focused on the whole child.
TCPS provides a consistent curriculum, beginning with the kindergarten program. We designed this success-oriented program to be engaging, supportive, and challenging — incorporating a focus on teaching kindergarten students how to learn, and to love learning, so they can continue to learn effectively beyond TCPS. Kindergarten teacher Rachel Szalay has been with our school teaching kindergarten since 2011.
Attend our Kindergarten Virtual Admissions Coffee on November 19th, or set up a tour of the school today or call us directly at 858-576-2120 with your questions.
Start your Online Application for Fall 2021 admission today!
TCPS Kindergarten Curriculum
– Language Arts: Reading and Writing, Small Group Instruction, Phonics, Public Speaking, Journaling
– Beginning Research and Information Gathering
– Math: Bridges Math (K – 5th), Conceptual Understanding, Deep Learning, “Real-Life” Context
– Manipulatives and Hands-On Projects
– Leveled, Individualized Reading, Writing and Math (at their own speed)
– Developmentally Appropriate Play Time & Outside Discovery
– Social Studies: “Myself and My World”
– Science: Environment and Animal Kingdoms
– Social-Emotional Curriculum
– Music & Arts interwoven throughout
– Library Time
– “Reading Buddies”/K – 8th Cross-Age Activities
Why TCPS Kindergarten?
TCPS believes in the importance of providing young students with engagement, excitement, and challenge every day as they begin formal schooling. An early introduction to this type of education, the way education should be, is vitally important in creating long lasting success and happiness in school. Students who graduate from college will normally attend school for a minimum of 17 years. Their introduction to kindergarten and elementary school should ignite and begin to develop their passion for lifelong learning that will continue throughout their years of formal schooling and beyond.
Attend our Kindergarten Admissions Coffee (Virtual)
Learn about the benefits of our TCPS Kindergarten program from Kindergarten teacher Rachel Szalay. You will also hear from Head of School Donny Kim about how Kindergarten leads into our elementary school and our child-centered educational programs focusing on social-emotional development along with engaging academics. RSVP using the link below to receive the event link via email.
When? Thursday, November 19th, 9:30 am – 10:30 am
TCPS Kindergarten Benefits
- A small class size (12 students max) that provides the individual attention necessary for maximizing individual growth and development.
- Membership within a small, tight knit school community.
- Kindergarten students learn to feel safe to take academic risks in an atmosphere that nurtures their self-esteem and teaches responsibility for their own actions.
- All students participate in Community Outreach Programs.
- Daycare is available before and after school at a reasonable hourly rate.
- Financial assistance is available to those who qualify.
Schedule a tour today or call our admissions office with your questions: 858-576-2120.
Looking for TK (Transitional Kindergarten)?
While TCPS does not have a TK program, if your child has a late summer/early fall birthday (turning five (5) by October 31) you may still consider Kindergarten at TCPS. Schedule a tour or contact the Admissions Office for more information about Kindergarten readiness and our evaluation process for all students.