Fundamental principles that guide our curriculum:
- Learning is an exciting and lifelong process.
- Each person is unique and complex.
- Ethnic, cultural and individual differences are respected and add to the richness of life.
- Students are entitled to a learning environment which is safe, nurturing, and non-prejudicial, and which challenges them to work to their full potential.
Walk into a classroom at The Child’s Primary School (TCPS) and you may see children spread out on the floor with Independent Work, 8th graders huddled around the computer editing a power point presentation, students challenging each other about the significance of an historical event, a weekly class meeting or a seventh grader reworking the prototype for her invention. You may also see a class brainstorming how they can support our current community outreach focus, a 3rd grader taking notes on 3×5 cards for his first big research report or a Kindergartner and 5th grader poring over an book on insects. TCPS classrooms are active laboratories for research, experimentation and critical thinking. It’s no wonder children and teachers love to be here.
A creative, expansive/full, and challenging program
- The arts, technology, Spanish, Physical Education, sports teams, after-school programs, Student Council, and community outreach
- In-depth learning
- Communication skills
- Kindergarten – 8th Grade Math Overviews
- Kindergarten – 8th Grade Social Studies Overviews
- Kindergarten – 8th Grade Science Overviews
Teaching the process of how to learn
- Breaking things down into meaningful smaller steps
- Critical thinking
- Recognition of different learning styles
- Providing a variety of opportunities to express and demonstrate learning
- Self evaluation
- How to be a student
Attention to individual needs
Social emotional program
- Safe environment to learn
- Diversity and tolerance
- Interpersonal relationships
Consistency and Community
- Class sizes no larger than 14 students (grades K-2), 16 students (grades 3-8)
- Cross-age activities
- Parent/family commitment and involvement
- Open, respectful, steady communication